The following is a short list of main attributes of Chrono.
- Rigid body support
- Flexible body support via Chrono::FEA module - both for ANCF and co-rotational nonlinear finite element analysis
- Support for fluid-solid interaction problems, via Chrono::FSI module
- Coulomb friction model capturing stick-slip phenomena.
- Support for rolling friction and spinning friction.
- Support for handling frictional contact via two approaches: a complementarity approach and a penalty approach.
- Springs and dampers with non-linear response. Can be user defined.
- Large collection of joints and constraints: spherical, revolute, prismatic, universal, glyph, screw, bevel and spur gears, pulleys, etc.
- Unilateral constraints.
- Constraints to impose trajectories, or to force motion on splines, curves, surfaces, etc.
- Constraints can have limits (ex. elbow).
- Constraints can be rheonomic or holonomic
- Custom constraint for linear motors.
- Custom constraint for pneumatic cylinders.
- Custom constraint for motors, with reducers, learning mode, etc.
- On the fly constraint activation/deactivation.
- Simplified 1D dynamic models. Examples: powertrain, clutches, brakes, etc. For more sophisticated models see companion Chrono::Vehicle module.
- All physical items can have an arbitrary number of 'assets' used for defining visualization shapes, custom properties, etc.
- HHT solver for index 3 differential algebraic equations.
- Symplectic first order half-implicit Euler solver for large frictional contact problems.
- Speed-impulse level solver for handling large frictional contact problems.
- Handling of redundant/ill posed constraints.
- Stabilization or projection methods to avoid constraint drifting.
- Static analysis solver.
- Inverse kinematics and interactive manipulation.
Collision detection features
- Supports compounds of spheres, cubes, convex geometries, triangle meshes, etc.
- Additional collision support provided by the Bullet collision detection engine, which is wrapped inside Chrono::Engine.
- Broad phase collision detection: sweep-and-prune SAT.
- Narrow phase collision detection: AABB and/or OBB binary volume trees, to handle geometries with thousands of details.
- Detail phase with custom primitive-to-primitive fallbacks.
- Safety 'envelope' around objects.
- Report penetration depth, distance, etc.
- Bodies can be activated/deactivated, and can selectively enter collision detection.
- ANSI-compliant C++ syntax.
- Optimized custom classes for vectors, quaternions, matrices.
- Optimized custom classes for coordinate systems and coordinate transformations, featuring a custom compact algebra via operator overloading.
- All operations on points/speeds/accelerations are based on quaternion algebra and have been profiled for fastest execution.
- Custom sparse matrix class.
- Custom redirectable stream classes, featuring platform independent file archiving and modern syntax.
- Special archive engine, with easy and reliable persistent/transient serialization. Includes versioning and deep pointers storage.
- Expandable run-time class factory.
- Custom pseudo-'run-time-type-information', to allow persistence even in case of name-mangling with different C++ compilers.
- High resolution timer, platform independent.
- Class to create PostScript(tm) output.
- Interface with MATLAB
- Cosimulation with Simulink
- Import STEP cad files to define complex geometries
- Online/offline visualization with Irrlicht and POV-Ray, respectively.
- Classes for genetic & classical optimization.
- Classes for interfacing external geometric data (NURBS, splines).
- Scripting via Python.
- Makefile system based on CMake (cross-platform, on Windows 32/64 bit, Linux, OSX).